11.28.2006

The Vegas

This weekend was spent with the fam down in what we affectionately call "the Vegas" (I may be a half mexi, but I don't speak the language). Thursday was spent traveling, watching the annual Thanksgiving flick (this year it was Deck the Halls), and dinner at a restaurant (because let's be honest...we are OVER cooking and INTO catered food). The travel down was fine, the movie was sub par, but what can you expect from a family Christmas movie, and dinner would have been great if I wasn't already stuffed from the junk food throughout the day. The Decker family REALLY partied it up with some pumpkin pie, chocolute mousse pie, and the traditional viewing of the Christmas Story back at the Monte Carlo (yes, we brought our DVD player and hooked it up to the TV). Needless to say it was an early night...I think I fell asleep around 10PM.



Friday, we leisurely woke up to begin our day of F.U.N. The boys did their manly hunting while us gals (plus another bro) went to the outlets to steal some deals. Now keep in mind that I really have not been into the Black Friday shopping spree that society has come to know and love. We may shop a little bit every year after Thanksgiving, but we are by no means hardcore in doing it. So when we got to the outlet malls (yours truly behind the wheel of the SUV), I soon realized that we were on a playing field and people were playing dirty. Finally we found parking and I must say I am VERY surprised that the guy in the beemer didn't key our car since Luke, the person he is, jumped out of the car and stood in front of the BMW so that he could get the spot instead. Sometimes it is real handy for him to be a jerk! Then it was off to the usual starbucks morning start, but as we walked past the mile long lines (ok, 1/4 mile would be NO EXAGERATION), I decided that I wanted to hit minimal stores and get the H out of there. I did get a couple great deals. The manager at the Vans store gave me 20% off for instance just "because he could"...LOL. I was pretty proud of myself for staying under $200 though (that's one for the books)! Of course, I didn't have much room since it WAS a part of my budget that I keep weekly now (thanks Jamie)! After shopping (which took long enough if you ask me...I wanted to stay for an hour, but it soon was 4 before we got to in-n-out and back to the hotel). So back at the Monte Carlo, we vegged, napped, met the boys, and got ready for our evening out. After we got all dressed up, we went for some dinner at the hotel and then jumped in a cab to basically drive us 4 blocks down the strip to the Venetian. There is where Phantom of the Opera was playing.


BOO FREAKIN YA is all I have to say about that...but I'll go on! We walked in, and for anyone who knows me KNOWS that I ADORE Christmas trees and lights (not to mention art and architecture). The Venetian had its Christmas decor up and it was dazzeling! My parents were like, "Ciara, you did a good job with our hotel, but we are staying HERE next year!" Sounds good to me bro & mama deck! Pictured above are shots that I took with my camera phone. I HATE looking like a tourist, but I had to take these pics because it was too georgeous! Then it was off to pick up the tickets and window shop. While Lupe and Luke intently shopped, Anthony wandered aimlessly, and my dad and I enjoyed the scenery, architecture, and ambiance of the Venetian. We finally got to the infamous theater where Phantom was playing. I bought a freakin $10 picture program (I couldn't help myself) and waited intently for it to begin. I soaked up the theater atmosphere as it all began. We were 5 rows back on the right side of the stage...AMAZING.



The play began and I felt like I was 12 years old again...watching it for the first time. I was mesmerized by the actors, the voices, the music, the stage design, and the costumes. I literally sat on the edge of my seat almost the entire time. I loved every second! I must say, though, it had adapted a lot of what the recent film had in it. Before (way back when), it was a more simpler story, but this gave it more background and more excitement as well. With pyrotechnics and fog all around us, we LITERALLY felt the heat on stage and saw every single little detail of each actor. After the show of a lifetime, we got a cab back to the hotel, while the parents gambled away our inheritance (lol...no seriously), while I took the boys to see Happy Feet and to play some games at the 24 hour arcade. (By the way...happy feet? It didn't make me happy as I thought there would be more comedy. It was a disappointment indeed.) Around 2a.m. we stumbled into the hotel room for a good night's sleep. Saturday was spent sleeping in as late as we could (only 10am to get out of the hotel by 11) and then back on the trek up to Utah. But was my saturday night over? No...I went and saw Stranger than Fiction (very good...a must see) with the Hubbard family. FINALLY I got back to ptown to rest my body and mind.



All in all, it was a good holiday. Too much family? Possibly. Not enough mcLyle? DEFINITELY. We'll see what's in store for Christmas.




P.S. THEY ARE LIGHTING THE TREE IN NYC TOMORROW!
I WISH I COULD BE THERE!

7 comments:

jamie said...

yeah, cute post! and you loved having a date with me even if you were tired!

jamie said...

btw, I totally don't remember alloting you $200 a week for shopping but then again I couldn't get your budget excel sheet to open!

Ciara & Lyle said...

lol...yeah well call it my babysitting money.

Jeni said...

Looks fun, you know the BEST chrsitmas decor? Disney at Christmas... but I am sure you know that! LOOKS like a fun thanksgiving though, I love THE VEGAS too!

Melinda Palmer said...

Looks like a blast! Michael served his mission there, so we've been quite a bit, but I've never seen Christmas decor! Looks beautiful!

jamie said...

Okay I'm feeling a need for my weekly update!

Tara Fears said...

Hey C! Glad that even though we never chat, I can still spy on you and know what's going on in your life via your blog! Nice one! I'm going down to "The Vegas" for the bowl game, I'm excited to see the Christmas decorations after reading your blog!

oldie but goodie

Blog Widget by LinkWithin